Its Dusty in here.

I forgot I had this place. Its dusty *coughs*

I can't even begin to play catch up and since the last post I wrote was also a catch up post, maybe this should become a bi-annual event. And how in the world did I manage to wait this long?  If you've been following along at all then you know I work a lot and patrol a lot and ... well, mostly work and patrol. Let see, what else.... Quil and I are.. were best friends until a couple of weeks ago when he decided to blame me for his girlfriend breaking up with him or however that happened. You know what, lets talk about something happy.  I just finished my college internship at the Forks Pen. As in Prison.

I was lucky enough to land an internship close to home and doing what I studied to do. My job was to meet with a group of inmates - some of them were just victims of their lives, some were hardened criminals and every shade in between. I didn't know what to expect when I arrived on that first day but I couldn't wait to dig into their minds and see what I could pick apart and examine. I've seen all those Psychological cop shows on TV and I knew I was set to be the next Emily Prentice... or something close anyway. ;-)

Before you can actually walk into an internship like this you have to have a mentor or a whatever-you-call-it. Someone who shadows you and makes sure you're saying the right things, recording the correct notes and presenting yourself as an unbiased ear. I had a couple of phone calls from Fred. We spoke over the phone and finally met one day at Washington State. You. Will. Not. Believe. This!

Fred.. and I can't even tell you his last name because he only told me his name is Fred. He's my mentor and that's all I get? I can't even call him Mr. Something. Anyway... I walk down the hall to the meeting room. My nose is burning and twitching and my senses are going wild with the smell that no wolf can mistake. I knew there was a vampire near and that I couldn't do anything about it. We may have been surrounded by killers, rapists and thieves but you can't just shift and take down a guy who looks "human" without causing some alarm. I was checking every cell, and when I walked past and none of the inmates were what I knew was there. When I finally got to the conference room where Fred was waiting, it took all my power not to shift. There he stood with red eyes that were obviously masked with cheap contact lenses.

My internship had gone from full speed to a dead - literally- halt in one look. Fred never flinched and didn't seem to understand what I was but knew there was an instant problem between us. He was abrasive and cool and rarely showed any emotion. .. I take that back he had one emotion and it stuck. Bad! He had a "gift". Fred could repulse people to the point that they nearly throw up.

At first I didn't know how I would manage this whole deal but as time went on, I realized that Fred really wasn't a bad guy. He told me a little bit of his history and I learned to get along with him. His life was tough from the get go and I learned that he didn't love being who he was. I decided that I could help him as much as I could help the inmates... and maybe save a few lives in the process. I introduced Fred to Dr. Cullen and his family. Since then, I guess he has jerked over to be a veggie vamp. Or he's working on it, I'm not sure.

I learned a lot from Fred and from the people I worked with at the prison. It was nearly everything I imagined without the guns and hunting down the perps next move. (Yeah, I said "perp") *Laughs*  I was attacked, scared, sad, and even cried for some of the guys I met there and I hope I really helped them too.  My internship is over and I have one more semester and I'm going to be a college grad. How did this happen already?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This is Halloween

He Stayed

Every Little Thing is Gonna Be Alright